What is Shirodhara?
Shirodhara is a form of Ayurveda therapy that involves gently pouring warm ayurvedic oil in a stream over the forehead in constant flow for a stipulated amount of time. During this session you will experience calmness and rejuvenation like never before. It’s a boon from the Ayurveda that instantly soothes your senses and treats anxiety, restlessness, irritability, nervousness, fear and emotional downfalls. Shirodhara is accompanied by massage for better relaxation.
What Shirodhara does?
If you are suffering from a monkey mind, where your thoughts jump around from one worry to another – keeping you in a fairly constant state of stress and agony. There never seems to be a break from your internal dialogues? Ayurveda– an ancient system of healing has shirodhara to offer you. It is the perfect therapy to help quiet the mind. It’s a warm oil treatment beneficial not just for releasing stress, but also show best results in treating jet lags, insomnia, post-traumatic stress disorders, hypertension, poor digestion and metabolism.
Shirodhara helps in clearing our mental fog and nagging thoughts, and allows the nervous system to calm down. Its medicinal purposes include the treatment of depression, headaches, sinusitis, anxiety, allergic rhinitis, premature hair graying, hearing impairment, insomnia, Meniere’s disease, skin problems including psoriasis, tinnitus, neurological disorders and vision problems. Besides its medical properties, it’s also used non-medically for its’ amazing relaxing properties.
Benefits of Shirodhara
● Let’s you achieve instant stillness of mind and rejuvenation.
● Helps to build mental focus and concentration.
● Stimulates the 3rd eye and crown chakras, and awakens intuition and inner wisdom.
● Relieves stress, anxiety, depression, and insomnia through natural serotonin, dopamine, and melatonin release.
● Helps mental focus and concentration.
● Balances VATA- governor of all movements of mind and body & DOSHA.
● Works on the cerebral system, helps to relax the nervous system, and balances the life-force energy around the head.
● Improves the sensitivity of five senses.
● Reduces and relieves migraine headaches.
● Decreases hair loss and fatigue and makes one calm and refreshed.
● Deeply relaxes mind and body.
● Releases negative emotions and thought patterns.
● Improves sleep patterns.
● Rejuvenates the entire face and softens worry lines.
● Heightens the senses.
● Increases spiritual awareness.
● Pacifies vata reducing anxiety, restlessness, irritability, nervousness, fear & excessive thinking.
● Improves mental focus and concentration.
Who should not take Shirodhara ?
● If you are in your third trimester of pregnancy.
● If you have rash/ sunburn or open wounds on your forehead and scalp.
● If you have brain tumor, have had recent neck injury, abrasions or cuts on the head.
● If you have fever, chills, acute illness, nausea, vomiting, weakness, exhaustion, dizziness, fainting, spontaneous sweating.
● If you have strong aversion towards oil.
Do’s and dont’s of Shirodhara
● Do not move head during the treatment.
● Maintain silence during and after the treatment.
● Cover the head after treatment.
● Do not wash hair right after Shirodhara treatment has ended. Wash your hair after two hours of the treatment.
● Take maximum rest after treatment.
● Avoid exposure to excessive cold or heat after treatment.
● Since the treatment works directly on the “agya chakra” (the subtle center between the two eyebrows) any blockage in the channel or old thoughts or past events deep seated in the sub-conscious mind, may come up during treatment.
● Some people may experience emotional downfalls and feel depressed. Being aware of the elimination process will help in understanding the feelings and creating a balance.
How Often Should Shirodhara Be Taken?
For maximum benefit it may be taken for a session of 7 days but never less than 3 days.The session may be taken according to the level of stress experienced by you. It is advised to take one shirodhara session per month.